When it comes to the day-to-day of keeping your hardwood floors in shape, dusting should be a big priority. Dusting can be one of the easiest ways you can safeguard your investment and keep it in top shape. If time allows, you should aim to dust on a daily basis to keep crumbs, dirt, and debris off your floor. How does all this dusting protect your hardwood floor? Dusting helps to prevent scratching and can essentially extend the beauty and life of your floor for the long term. You can use a dust mop to make the job easier, or you can find custom made dusting products to make it easier as well.
On a weekly basis, it is a great idea to thoroughly clean your floor. However, don’t just clean your floor with any product. There is a right way and a wrong way to clean your hardwoods. If you use too much liquid, this can cause damage to your floors, and the wrong cleaning agent can wreak havoc. Make sure you consult your flooring company before applying any type of cleaner. As a rule of thumb, you can look for a pH-neutral, nontoxic cleaning formula to use on your hardwoods. Also, you should note that using vinegar can cause damage or eat away at the finish on your floor.
Monthly or Quarterly
One of the final steps to keeping your hardwood floors in top shape, is to apply polish. This can be done on a quarterly basis, and once again you should clarify the type of polish to use with your flooring company. Make sure you confirm that your polish does not leave any type of harmful or toxic residue, and be sure that it doesn’t strip your floors before you apply it.
Other Helpful Tips
- In general, it is a good idea to avoid using harsh cleaners or substances that use too much vinegar. Over time you will find that using too much vinegar and water will dull the finish on your hardwood.
- Use felt protectors for the legs of furniture, and try to avoid high heels or shoes with fine pointed pressure
- Make sure you watch your pet’s nails. It’s a good idea to keep them as trimmed as possible so they don’t cause undo scratching.
- Clean up all spills immediately
- In Charleston, the humidity and environment can cause harm to your floors as well. Make sure you keep your temperature regulated and humidity relatively low to ensure it stays in quality shape.
If you have any questions regarding what we recommend, don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions.